Thursday, December 3, 2009

Yaki-Imo (Baked Sweet Potato)

It is a Yaki-Imo season, even though it is not common here in the U.S.
In Japan, there are Yaki-Imo stands all over the city, like you can see baked chestnut stands in NYC. The smell from the stand is very similar to what you can expect from Yaki-Imo stand, which usually plays some music to tell people/residences that he/she is here for business. (The difference is Yaki-Imo stands move around, like ice cream stands in the U.S.)
My produce store in my neighbor carries Asian sweet potato (or Satsuma-Imo in Japanese) during the winter season, so I baked them in the oven - at 350 degree for one hour, the same way you would do for potato or sweet potato (yam).
As you can see, it is much dryer than yam, and greenish color (vs. yellow/orange in yam). I think it is much sweeter than yum and we typically eat for snack. People might smear butter, but I ate as it was since it was pretty sweet.

2 comments:

  1. I'm a brooklynite too and heard about the Imo on Dr. Oz,where in Bk Heights does one pick up the IMO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking you might try fairway in Redhook...I'm also looking.

    ReplyDelete