Monday, December 7, 2009

Trip to Flushing Queeens












Flushing is famous for several things - first thing comes to mind is the tennis center where the U.S. open is held every year during the summer, and CITI field for New York Mets... One more thing we can't forget is dense Asian (except Japanese though) population. Depending on the block, you would be confused with one of Korea, Thailand or China cities...
We went to our favorite Korean grocery store - H Mark where you can buy very cheap produce items, a variety of meats including sliced pork belly, and good Kimchi. There were several winter vegetables catching my eyes, so we bought them along with meat and Kimchi. (You need to come back here tomorrow to see what I would do with these vegetables.)
On the way back home, we stopped by at a Thai restaurant, where I do believe I came with my friend several years ago. It has been fully renovated and the place looked five times bigger than before. We ordered green mango (yes, mango not papaya) salad, some sort of coconut soup and two types of noodle dishes. I was not 100% sure whether we were able to taste the difference between mango and papaya, but it was very delicious to start the lunch. But my first choice and potentially the reason why we would come back here has to be this soup. It was a coconut based (as you can see from the color) soup but it was hot and SOUR... I know it is common to have a combination of hot and sour, but I have never tasted another dimension (coconut) to this. It was sensational and great... Noodles were fine (nothing special, in my opinion)

No comments:

Post a Comment