Sunday, April 18, 2010

Yae-Zakura and Gyoza


Chilly weekend compared with the one we had last week. Drizzling rain all day, but it is helping to keep the flowers blooming longer. I am not sure what this flower/tree is but is is pretty pink till it blooms. Maybe apple?
I like Somei-Yoshino, the most common Sakura (cherry blossom in Japanese), but I like Yae-Zakura more. It literally means eight layers of peddles, which I have never counted whether it is eight or more/less. Since each flower has multiple peddles, it looks more substantial and shows pinkness. We use the young leaf for Sakura-Mochi (traditional Japanese sweets only available during this time of year) or even flower for tea.
For some reason, I really wanted to cook Gyoza (Japanese or I should say originated in China but more to be Japanese dumpling). I think ground pork is more common but we used a mix of chicken and beef - I think some people know why...
The wrappers we bought had over 50 sheets, but our meat mixture was way more than needed, so we made mini meat burgs as well (no picture).
Simple dinner but very fulfilling.

No comments:

Post a Comment