Friday, July 31, 2009

Smell the Summer



You can smell the summer in New York (or in the U.S.), which reminds me the one I smelled 10 years ago, when I started the summer school at University of Pennsylvania. After getting off the train and walking through the campus, you can smell the summer, especially after the rain.
There are a few things reminding me that it is summer after all, even though there have been no over 90 degree day this year yet - ice cream vendor and this building with thousands of air conditioners sticking out from the windows.
You can see an ice cream vendor all over the city which serves soft serve ice cream along with commercial ones. I personally have never tried but there is always a line of people.
Many old houses or buildings don't have the integrated cooling system installed, so we still use window installed air conditioners (not like Japanese style) which are pretty noisy and bulky. This building in Brooklyn Heights has been catching my eyes since every single window has the same unit. I guess the building installed them and nobody has changed since then. You don't see this in Japan, do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment