Monday, May 24, 2010

Tour Guide for the Weekend

After one day of the break on Friday, I was back as "full-time" tour guide this weekend.
After picking them up at the MET (I did not need to see the museum) and walking through the Madison ave. with some shopping, we landed at who knew Ess-a for lunch. I had raisin pumper nickel with sun dried tomato cream cheese, while they ordered multi grains with smoked salmon sandwich. They said that the bagel here is different from what they can buy in Japan (yes, it apparently is popular in Japan). It is much softer than here - I think everything is softer there in Japan.
The tour continued by walking through the fifth ave. with another round of shopping all the way to the Ground Central station. Emerald green ceiling there seemed very unique in their eyes, so as chandeliers.
A quick subway ride took us to the Union Square area for ANOTHER round of shopping. Ten blocks of walk lead us to my favorite the Flat Iron building. I still remember when I came to NYC first time, like 15 years ago, that building caught my eyes vividly and I have been liking that building ever since.
We were hungry by the time (maybe 7:30???), so we decided to grab very American (or NYC) dinner. The place? - Brooklyn Diner next to the Carnegie Hall. The dishes we ordered were - Ruben sandwich (pastrami), cheese burger (no picture) and fried chicken with waffle. I wanted them to taste pastrami at some point, so finding this menu was "yes!!!" and so as fried chicken with waffle. Even though there were eye catching deserts displayed, we decided to end the day with only the dinner. (BTW, we shared one piece of BIG Junior cheese case at the Grand Central.)
Sunday, we met at the MoMA - yes my friends are very cultured... There was a Israel parade on the fifth ave. so we were so glad we did the shopping there on Saturday. After stopping by at the CBS store - one of my friends are into CSI NY show, we took a subway ride to 72nd and Broadway. Yup, next stop was Fairway for lunch. I did not know they have a restaurant on the 2nd floor, but it seems to me that it is famous and even in the guide book in Japan. SEVEN stucks of pancake, omelet, and stake and egg. We were luck to have a table next to a big window enjoying the view of the Broadway, and they were enjoying the view of waiters too...
After stopping by at Zabar's for Eco-bags shopping (I know it does not sound right, but Zabar's is pretty famous in Japan and many Japanese buy their Eco-bag for souvenir), we took #1 subway to all the way to Christopher street station. NYC has so many different neighborhoods and   I wanted to show something different - west village. Walked around Bleecker street by sneaking several boutiques and street vendors. There was a long line at the Magnolia bakery thank to Sex and The City (and their movie is coming to the theater).
Another stop - East Village by taking a quick bus ride. 10 minutes of the ride gave us totally different feeling. Since they had 7 pm show to catch, we decided to have a quick (but BIG) bite - at the restaurant on 60th (yup, we took a bus ride all the way from 8th to 60th on the 3rd ave.) A huge pie, but I ate a half of it while they ate two pieces each.
Walking through the 59th street all the way to 7th ave. by checking out the Central Park (strong smell due to the horses...)
It was so much fun to show around the city to someone. No rain over 5 days of the stay so no complain. My legs/feet were so tied and I don't think I need to do any leg exercise for a while.
This is a shot on the way back home at the station while waiting for a train. Not to be mean, but she could wear something "appropriate".

No comments:

Post a Comment